This is the logo of the very first German savings bank, formed in 1778 in Hamburg. Soon after this first branch opened, additional branches were also opened in further establishments in Oldenburg, Kiel, Altona and Baden-Wuerttemberg. The logo was initially put into use in 1925 and first depicted a face. The eyes were used to form the letters of D and G. In 1948, a new logo was developed as a result of the work of an experienced poster artist Lois Gaigg, where he used the S symbol for the first time. This S symbol has been further used in the most recent iteration by designer Otl Aicher. It is considered that popular opinion is that the newer logo looks like an upside down question mark.