Our company today has an emblem, the red star with the green T which, all over the globe, means superior quality,” D.P. Stewart, manager of Texaco’s Advertising Division, wrote in 1947. He had reason for pride: Since its inception, the Texaco Star has been among the world’s most distinctive logos, evolving over a century of operations.
1913 logo design.
1936 banjo-style logo.
The streamlined star was introduced in 1981.
Created in 1903, the company’s original logo was a five-pointed star based on the Star of Texas, our headquarters at that time.
An early logo that was only used for two years appeared in 1907 on tank delivery wagons. It contained a red star with the words “Made in Texas” overprinted in a white background encircled in blue and “The Texas Company” at the base of the circle.
Two years later, it gave way to our first trademarked logo _ a green T against a red star _ which was suggested by J. Romeo Miglietta, an Italian-born employee at our Port Arthur, Texas, refinery. Miglietta based his design on the green and red colors that decorated the Italian flag.
We redesigned the logo in 1913, introducing a 42-inch enameled double-faced sign to display at all company-owned filling stations. In 1936, the green T was back inside the red star in the famous banjo sign at Texaco service stations around the world. We exchanged the circle for a hexagon when we introduced our first corporate identification system in 1963.
To introduce our new System 2000 stations in 1981, we developed the streamlined star symbol as part of our new corporate identity, retaining the character of earlier logos that have added distinction to the Texaco brand.
In 2000, we updated our corporate identity. Since the star had become such a globally recognized icon, we found that it no longer needed the word Texaco below it.
Today, with its prominent star, the Texaco logo is one of the most widely recognized symbols in the more than 150 countries in which we operate.