The original logo of the United States Institute of Peace was designed in 1986 to incorporate two components:
The tree is based on the Connecticut "Peace Tree," later known as the "Charter Oak." Used by the Suckiauke Indians as a site for peace councils, the tree served colonists as a hiding place for their charter of liberty in 1687 when they were seeking freedom from England. The tree symbolizes the values of peace and freedom.
The logo was re-designed in 1990 as part of an expansion of Institute outreach activities and to make it easier to reproduce digitally. It has become a widely recognized symbol of the work of the U.S. Institute of Peace.